Rants, Raves, and Ridiculosity

The life of a returning waiguoren...

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Special Delivery!

I joined the YMCA in April of 2009 after returning from China, and since then I've earned thousands of Y points. Each time you go to the Y you get points that you can use on a myYrewards website. Well, they are now discontinuing the points system, so it was use 'em or lose 'em time this month. After browsing the website for way too long and talking myself out of a bunch of junk I didn't really need, I settled on 2 boxes of Godiva chocolates (which is definitely classified as a need). Yes, that's right. I used 2 1/2 years worth of Y rewards on chocolate. :)

That was weeks ago, and I had forgotten all about it. Until today...this arrived!















That's right, folks! My tiny little boxes of chocolate came in their own cooler with Godiva chocolate brand ice bags! Hilarious! Also included was a note asking me to "Please enjoy the world's ultimate chocolate indulgence."















Now it's funny that this chocolate came today because just this morning I was thinking that I should blog about my recent attempts at purchasing only fair trade, slave free chocolate. (Notice I didn't say only eating slave free chocolate...baby steps.)
I first heard about "slave chocolate" through a friend's blog, but didn't really accept the challenge until recently. I've been doing this for a few months now and here are some observations:
-I enjoy the experience of buying fair-trade chocolate more than regular chocolate, sort of like how I feel more sophisticated buying a bottle of wine than a can of beer.
-It is more expensive so I savor it more.
-I tend to buy more dark chocolate varieties which has more health benefits than my usual chocolate.
-Given the choice, I'd totally pick fair-trade based on taste alone. I might be a chocolate snob!




Godiva doesn't have the fair trade logo on their $25 package of dark truffles I received...good thing I didn't pay for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home