Rants, Raves, and Ridiculosity

The life of a returning waiguoren...

Thursday, December 20, 2007

White Elephant Observations

I did my first White Elephant party of the year with my teacher class. It's always funny to see when they catch on that they can steal gifts. And my teachers weren't shy at all like some of my other students. A few observations:
1. Chinese taste must be completely opposite to that of the average Westerner. The first gift opened was the most hideous lamp I've ever seen. It was stolen three times in 5 minutes. It was followed by many random stuffed and fuzzy things that were also stolen to the max.
2. Allow me to dispel the myth that Chinese people do not like sweets. Anytime we offer them cookies or talk about our favorite desserts they say, "Oh it's too sweet! We Chinese don't eat sweet things." Tonight people nearly killed each other over some chocolate and a huge lollipop that I would never dream of wanting!
3. The American Dollar bill gift brings a priceless round of shouting and cheering everytime!
4. The Christmas spirit is here: Many of the teacher's gave me the gift they had received at the end of class along with some others. Very sweet.

Last night we watched "The Grinch" and I finally feel like it's Christmas. Sure we've all been plotting, planning, and creating our gifts, but it just hasn't felt much like Christmas. I didn't realize how nostalgic that movie was. Once we started watching it we were all like a bunch of kids laughing and quoting it. Makes me remember how every year my dad threatened to hook up our dog to a sleigh and cancel Christmas while quoting about the roast beast. Classic.

Tonight the students I share with Beth are putting on a Christmas party/performance. Of course Beth and I are performing. We are singing. And I sneakily got tricked into dancing...alone.

Sabrina: Amy, would you mind teaching us how to dance like at your birthday party?
Me: Sure, no problem.
Sabrina two days later: Amy, perhaps you could dance by yourself first and then if there is time you can teach us how.

I've actually never performed any dance alone before. Solo isn't my strength, but I doubt they'll care. We'll see how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home