Rants, Raves, and Ridiculosity

The life of a returning waiguoren...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Why'd I Come Back?

Today I went to the park for "church." I knew every sermon would be about Mother's Day today, and for some reason, that seemed annoying to me. So I parked it on a bench and read these words of comfort:

"In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil, or fade - kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1: 3-7

I don't know that coming back from China would be considered a "trial", but it certainly carries with it grief. And maybe part of my return was to strengthen my faith, precious to God, to give him glory in the end.

So I sat thinking about the reasons I came back. Part of it was just a feeling. It seemed like the right time, or maybe not so much a right time but as good a time as any. I didn't feel like I was supposed to stay there for my whole life, so it seemed a logical time to leave. I was also excited about the things happening with my friends in Nashville and wanted to be a part of that. A small voice in the back of my brain was saying maybe I should go back now before I solidly become an old maid to see if there is a man for me (not that God couldn't ship him overseas if he wanted...) And now I see reasons I couldn't before. I've been able to be with Beth through her treatment, been able to help Tammy, help Brad. I don't think I made a wrong choice. I know God will grow and use me in either place. But a grand thought crossed my mind this morning...

What if I give myself until age 35. At 35, if I'm not married and tied down...why not go back? Or if I am married to someone amazing who wants to come with me...that could work too. Give myself some time to pay off my loans and then head across the ocean...? It's just a dream and a thought, but how fun it would be if Beth, Brad, and I all headed back...heck, maybe Kim and Katie too...the Indians...it could be a grand reunion...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home